Monday, January 24, 2011

Motivation for mi gente

There comes a time when I have to reflect at the past few months. There has been a lot on my mind because of the recent deaths in my circle of friends and family and the "scare" my mom went through a few weeks ago. It seems as though everything usually comes crashing down at once but thankfully I have found strength to keep on moving. Work, friends, family, other and so on keeps me busy enough to not stress.
Regardless of what has happened in the last few months, positive things have came into mi vida. In November 2010, I was named one of the "Delaware Valley's Most Influential Latinos," an even produced by the Philadelphia Multicultural Affairs Congress and Impacto Latin Newspaper, and in 2011, I took home the Professional of the Year Award, one of three Excelencia Hispanic Business Awards distributed annually by the Greater Philadelphia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. All two accomplishments by the age of 26. Is that possible? Sure it is. But it's not easy. There are many things I want to get out of my chest but we'll leave those for happy hours!
During both award ceremonies I received a good number of thanks and greetings from people I know in Philly who stated my work is much appreciated. Why do I do it? I do it for many reasons, but I mostly do it for mi familia. I've come to the realization I wouldn't know what I would do without them. Motivation doesn't come by often, but when you have a good group of people around you, it definitely comes in handy. That's why 2011 is for them and for mi Tia Gloria and Ramon Baez.

1 comment:

Emmania said...

Aww! Eric, you are such a sweetheart. A wonderful latino professional and friend to all who know you. All you have accomplished you deserve. You have done so much for the Latino community here, and I am so glad that it is not going unnoticed. Cheers to your family. I am sure they are brimming with happiness and pride!