Tuesday, January 18, 2011

So why do we do it...


Sometimes I have to ask myself, why do we do it? Why do Latinos work "extra" hard to achieve success and become what our parents wanted us to be and more so for ourselves. There's a lot of attention on Arizona and Daniel Hernadez because he "saved" the congresswoman's life. I'm sure he didn't do it for the fame, I mean he's only 20 years-old. Then FoxNewsLatino publishes a story about Latinos and heroic deeds. So what is it?

I believe it's a cultural thing. We are influenced by so much that we just HAVE to make it in life. Music, food, clothing, technology all play an important role in our lives. However, most people, and by most I mean the mainstream work, don't understand how culture influences our lives. And I'm no diversity coach, but come on, sometimes it's so simple yet people are so clueless to what is going on. Yes I'm being very vague, but I have to. And yes I'm venting a little here so bare with me :).

And why do I do it? I do it because of our familia. I know I do. All this success is for them, not for me. I could have all the money in the world but for what? I'd spend it on mom and dad, a nice house and paying off all those student loans. Currently making "enough" to live is okay, but sometimes I wonder what if I made a little more. I mean at 26 years-old, I need to start thinking about the future.

No comments: