Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Americans more familiar with Latinos?


I just finished reading an article on CNN.com about Americans being more familiar with Latinos. Does this make any sense? Isn't this sort of obvious considering the population change in Latinos? I found this quote to by quite disturbing, ""But nearly half of people we questioned said they assume that Latinos who they have never met are immigrants, and one in five believe they are illegal immigrants," adds Holland. I don't think it's difficult to understand a minority group. I mean everyone is different why not just accept it.

Thankfully I live in a city where people understand diversity. Would I feel differently If I lived in a small town in Colorado or Minnesota? Most likely yes. People are actually surprised I am Latino. If I was at a regular event with a white crowd, I doubt anyone would spot me to be the Latino. But of course if I was at a Latino event one would just assume I'm one of "them".

Is the media changing the way we view people of color? Although I have yet to watch CNN's Latino in America, I hear more and more everyday people's discontent with the program. Have you watched Latino in America yet? What do you think?

No comments: