Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thank You SEPTA

Photo from: Al Dia

So finally after god knows how long, SEPTA will finally get rid of their tokens. According to an article in the Daily News, by 2011 we might be swiping our credit cards for fare.
"I would like for folks to be able to pay for a SEPTA trip by using whatever they have in their pocket - a credit/debit card, a student ID card, a cell phone with a computerized sticker that acts as a surrogate credit/debit card, whatever," he told the Daily News.
However, I am hesitant to think people will want to take our their American Express or VISA in the middle of the night. SEPTA not only has to change their fare system, but also keep something open passed 12 a.m. If you look at SEPTA's map, we have lots of rail choices to choose from and a lot of them don't operate at certain times. I personally refuse to take a bus somewhere, they get more crowded than trains and in all honesty, people have more attitude in buses.

I suspect that in 2011, Philly (and the region) will be a completely different city.

3 comments:

Cindy Juarez Bustillo said...

do you think the Septa is as good as other cities trains? I've heard mixed reviews.

Obviously NYC is the best, but DC's aint too shabby, I feel like it takes you a lot of places...the other one i've rode on is the BART in the Oakland Area, i though it sucked.

Unknown said...

I actually liked Boston the best. DC is cool and SEPTA is just SEPTA. I am seriously afraid of NYC's rail system haha. There are WAAAY too many for me to keep track of.

Unknown said...

NYC is actually pleasant to navigate, its damn near idiot proof as long as the person tells you the names of where ur going. I love my hometown's train system! DC BABY!! SEPTA sucks, everything smells like pee, the conductors are rude or ignorant and there is trash everywhere (North Philly station violates all 3 of these) and you're right madd stations are useless b.c of time constraints or limited passes. If they want a fully functional pass system they're going to need 24hr machines in convenient places..period! Hopefully this will help the homeless-on-SEPTA issue too.