Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Colombia: El Cocuy National Park

Photo: Dennis Drenner for The New York Times

As much as people don't think Colombia is a place to visit I say you're joking. The New York Times wrote a stunning piece on not just travel to Colombia, but to El Cocuy National Park.

The story reminded me of when I took the journey to Colombia...in 1995! Yes it was a long time ago but I distinctly remember each day of that July month. I remember that 11 hour bus from Bogota to the towns of El Cocuy. I remember greeting the mayor of the small town we staying in and I even remember when someone spilled a hot plate of food on my arm.

The journey up one of the mountains was great. It was the first time I had been on a horse and it wasn't cooperating. Although we made it near the summit, we dared not to go to the top without proper gear. I wish I had the photos online but back in '95, dad had his Polaroid camera. Come to think about it, he still has the Polaroid camera haha.

For more info on travel to Colombia, visit colombia.travel/en/.

No comments: