Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Integration or Segregation?


This is the questions today's educated Latino ask themselves. Do I want to work with the people I relate to the most or do I work in a totally unrelated field where we are under represented? An article in Chicago Business says we are stepping into the mainstream.
But today, a wave of mostly second-generation children of immigrants is stepping outside those old cultural roles. While their community and ethnic roots remain a large part of their identity, these young people are seeking a foothold in professions where Hispanics are underrepresented: technology, engineering, finance and law.
That's the struggle I tell myself every day. When I started working at my current employer I came in as "the minority". I was going to specialize in niche marketing which obviously meant Hispanic; I did come from Taller PuertorriqueƱo. What I find interesting is that I studies journalism and I'm pretty sure I would've worked for a mainstream paper. So what do I do now?

I look at my job in 3 directions:
  1. Promote the City of Philadelphia (and the region) to local and national media.
  2. Promote the City of Philadelphia (and the region) to local and national Hispanic media.
  3. Promote the Hispanic neighborhood (and all it's assets) to local and national media
So what do you do? Do you work for a Hispanic organization, are you a Hispanic working in a mainstream organization or are you a Hispanic working in a mainstream org attempting to reach out to your audience?

No comments: