Monday, February 23, 2009

Los Oscars en otro idioma


Well not exactly. I couldn't help but notice how diverse the winners are whether Spanish, Japanese, Indian, etc. However, I couldn't help quite notice the lack of Latino-ish presenters, winners, or anything related. Luckily, VivirLatino was keeping track of most of this. It was great that Penelope Cruz got the first award and even gave shout outs en espaƱol, but obviously some people will say, "She is not Latina, she is Spanish." Which is completely true.

However, did you notice the 4 West Side Story references!? I could only count 2 but again Vivir Latino had my back. I also didn't appreciate audience laughing at the Japanese winner for Best Foreign Film Departures. It didn't look like he meant for it to be funny but I'm glad he just played along.

Best part of night? Again it was Penelope Cruz's acceptance speech. I call "most" of the acceptance speeches, "Keeping it Real."
I grew up in a place called Alcobendas, where this was not a very realistic dream. And I, always on the night of the Academy Awards, I stay up to watch the show and I always felt that this was, this ceremony was a moment of unity for the world because art, in any form, is and has been and will always be our universal language and we should do everything we can, everything we can, to protect its survival.

No comments: