Wednesday, December 3, 2008

For my Latinos

So I can't help but just comment on the 2 types of Latinos otra vez, well actually there are 3:
  1. The Latino that loves Latino stuff
  2. The Latino that loves mainstream stuff
  3. The Latino that loves both
To be honest I believe there are more of numero 3, the Latino that loves both mainstream and Latino stuff. Why do I say that...well it has nothing to do with research or statistics. It has to do with the age I am growing in. Not like number but how Latinos are slowly becoming the largest group living in the United States. Yes you have the older generations that only speak Spanish pero we now have more and more of Latinos like me.

When I came to Philadelphia the first thing I wanted to do was look for the Latino culture...where was it?! Then I found out it was at El Centro de Oro. What is that you ask? It's the Golden Block, an "upcoming" neighborhood in Philadelphia on 5th & Lehigh. Here we have H.A.C.E, Taller Puertorriqueño, Centro Musical and lots of local Latino restaurants. If you wanna know more about El Centro de oro my job has a podcast...listen in!

Then I realized the history Philly has included places like the National Constitution Center, Independence Hall, Please Touch Museum, Phila. Museum of Art...I can go on :). I'm actually planning on doing most (if not all) of these visits with my friend. She plans to move to L.A. and wants to do everything she never did.

Because I speak English and Spanish, it's very easy for me to like everything. However, there are Latinos that only speak Spanish yet enjoy these attractions. However, they won't go along, they'll be sure to bring their son, daughter, nephew, niece, etc.

So to all those Latinos, go out there and explore!

No comments: