Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The end of the world (in a book)


Today I finished reading Steve Alten's Domain. Although written in 2002, it was crazy reading the story in the era it was written for. The story looks at the lives of the Gabriel family and how they were truly obsesses with the Mayan calendar and the 2500-year-old enigma that predicts the end of humanity in 2012. Dad Julius believe the sites of the ancients, placed all around the glob, represent ancient pieces of a puzzle linked to the salvation of our species...or not.

Now it's November 2012 and a psychology student, Dominique Vazquez, intertwines her life into the Gabriel family. Somehow she's connected to the destruction and as we approach closer and closer to December 21, 2012, lives are lost, trust is broken and we faith is questioned. Is the prophecy correct? I was even questioning everything but as I got closer to the end I had to keep telling myself this is a fiction novel. Right? To be honest I haven't read a book in years but thanks to the recommendation from my brother (and purchasing a Nook), I kept going.

P.S. Domain is only one part of a three-part series -_-

No comments: