Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Change in the Latino community = Tacos for dinner

I usually don't say anything when I'm offended but this takes the cake. Wow. In East haven, CT., Mayor Joe Maturo made himself look completely ignorant in a WPIX interview. The original story was about police allegedly targeting Latinos but the story turned for the worst.

  • Reporter 1: What are you doing for the Latino community?
  • Mayor: I might have tacos for dinner.
-_-. <--- That's the face I would have had and then went on a rampage about why that is the most racist thing in the world. Not only because the Mayor judged that ALL Latinos eat tacos but also because he thinks eating tacos for dinner will bring change. Yes the Mayor has apologized but that's not something people are going to forget. Maybe he saw the Sh** White Girls Say to Latinas video. Maybe not. Either way, Mayor Maturo just proved to the world that racism clearly still exists. And um, it's definitely not cool to play the I'm-of-Italian-descent card. Really? Really!?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still don't understand people who need proof that racism still exists.

To tell you the truth, I don't think it was very racist that he said he eats tacos.

Maybe it is because I am mexican and everyone in my family and every mexican that I know eats tacos. But I still don't see how that's racist.

Unknown said...

you're right. you don't need a reason to prove racism still exists. But the context and the way he provoked his comment made it plain and simple that it was an assumption. It was more prejudice than racism

Xicano2nd said...

It was an assumption rooted in racism. Why be apologetic?