Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A split second of racial profiling

I'm not one to judge a book by its cover, but there are a lot of people that do. Whether it's the way we dress or our hairstyle, people can be friendly or unfriendly just by looking at few things and not getting to know the person. It's even worse when you are in a certain neighborhood or location; race relations are the worst. Well earlier today, this happened to me. I think it was the first time I was profiled but not necessarily in a good nor bad way. Here's the story:
  • Me: ::Walks into Dunkin Donuts::
    Man 1: Hey you speak English?
    (Already irritated) Me: Um yeah.
    Man 1: You speak it good?
    Me: Um yes I speak it well.
    Man 1: Okay well you know what a wingman is?
So although random, it was just weird being asked if I spoke English. And out of all places I was in Fishtown -_-. Could demographics really be changing the way people think? Either way I was irritated because he asked two annoying questions and it was lunch time so I was hungry. I think about whether or not I should be angry or just brush it off. In the end I think it was funny because the dude was hitting on the cashier (hence the wingman comment). Egh. C'est la vie.

No comments: