Monday, April 26, 2010

Drink Cultura

Earlier today I was given the above book and thought to myself, wow that's catchy. Not only that but famous artist Carlos Santana is even quoted in the front cover. Drinks Cultura is a collection of essays by Chicano writer Jose Antonio Burciaga, where he explores from Mexican American and Chicano viewpoints the complexities of being Mexican American. Burciaga writes about how is a "stranger" to two cultures which is something we can all relate to.

How many times have you not been Colombian enough to dance cumbia? Puerto Rican enough to live in PR? Or even Latino enough to claim your roots? This is an issue we all face everyday. How do you answer the questions our older family members throw at us? I remember my dad calling my brother and me "gringos" and it really left a bad taste with me.

No comments: