Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why are you my Facebook friend again?

LinkOh the dreaded friend request on Facebook. When is it really appropriate to friend someone? Just because I met you at a networking event or your friend is my friend doesn't really mean anything. As rude as it sounds people do it all the time. That's why there's Twitter and LinkedIN, for other social purposes. I think Facebook has become an exaggerated social networking site where high school enemies become BFFs on Facebook.

For the past few weeks I've been getting a higher number of friend requests. I look to see how I know them and it's one thing to have 4 or 5 friends in common (whom I also never met) but then when I have zero friends in common, there's a problem. There's also a problem when you accept the friend request because he or she is a well respected member of the community. Three days later you see them at a networking event and ::boom:: nothing; not even a smile. So why did you friend me? Granted most of my requests have been "well respected" members of the community who think I'm just a regular guy, but little do they know.

This is pretty much not a new subject, I just felt like ranting since those extra friend requests are popping up. Hopefully they'll read this and soon say hi. Hey I would even suggest sending a message with the request. Oh well. Hasta pronto!

No comments: