Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Our obsession with novelas

As a child I would watch novelas with mom and dad but later on I just stopped watching. It wasn't until my recent career move that I had a sudden interest in the novelas. With everyone talking about Reina del Sur, I had to see what the fuss was about (although I missed the entire series). Unlike mainstream soap operas, Spanish novelas only last one season and don't go on for 10+ years.

Last night, Mi Corazon Insiste, premiered on Telemundo. I must say it caught my attention. I'm a sucker for love :sigh: so it was interesting to see all the drama roll out. And talk about grabbing your attention. This pilot episode had everything a novela from my past had and then some. It reminded my of Moulin Rouge. Why? Because above all else, all you need is love. Sure there's the bad guy who happens to be the father of the main character who is in love with a girl younger than him sent to prison for 5+ years and when she gets out on probation he is getting married to someone else. Too much? Now I know why our comunidad just LOVE these novelas. Anyone want to start the Club de Noveleras in Philly lol.

No comments: