Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Are you against a name change?


Okay. So I have to mention the opinions expressed in this post are of MY OWN and in no way represent anything else I represent including work and organizations I represent. A few days ago I wrote about the Concilio brand change and commended the new executive director for taking a new approach. However, what I didn't know was that there was a change in festival name as well.

The "Festival Puertorriqueno" will now be named the "Festival Anual Latino de Cultura y Arte." Are there pros and cons of this change; of course there are...lots. But you have to put it in the perspective of the organization today. Yes keep the history and yes maintain your mission. But things change over time...that's what brands do. We also have to consider the people who founded the org. and those who have been there since the beginning. Do I think this is a stab in the back to Puerto Ricans? Of course not. While I do not know the whole story, everything is done in good intention. But I can see both sides to the story.

Remember, the 2010 Census changed EVERYTHING. Media, advertising, sports, business, communication, social media, culture...the list goes on. There is also an organization rallying to discuss and maintain the Puerto Rican name. Whatever the result may be, Latinos need to stick together and prove the stereotype wrong. Let's unite and prove the 2010 Census right; that we are here and we hold the power of the future.

No comments: