Tuesday, February 22, 2011

So what does it really mean to be AfroLatino?


My last two BeingLatino articles have been about the AfroLatino person. It's very interesting to see the different perspectives people have about the topic. What we must first understand is that Latino is a composition of three different cultures. Remember, a Colombian in Colombia is not Latino; a Mexican in Mexico is not Latino; however, a Colombian, Puerto Rican, Dominican and Mexican in the United States is indeed Latino (or Hispanic). Whatever you prefer. Latinos are a composition of Spanish, Indigenous and African cultures. The AfroLatino goes even deeper because a dark-skinned Colombiano might have more African roots than a light-skinned Puerto Rican.

I'm not saying we should divide ourselves into different sub-groups. That's the last thing I want. What I do want to point out is that this is a real thing. It's real because there are those which deny their roots. My aunt once said, "I'm glad I don't have black blood in me." Of course everyone around her gave her the "stank" face and someone corrected her. What I'm afraid of is that one day our youth will forget their history. Knowing where you come from is as important as knowing who you are.

No comments: