Friday, February 11, 2011

The awesome side of Greek life - Sister of AKA

As we get older, we start to think about all the crap we did as a young man/woman. We go through our high school and college period and think, "Woah did I really pledge this organization." Some people tend to push themselves away from the Greek system but then there are others who truly love and admire their organization. And there's nothing you can do about it.

That's why I admire Melanie Burney. I first met Melanie through work since she's at the Philadelphia Inquirer and it's my job to know her :). Little did I know she was (and still is) a sister of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc (AKA). AKA is an international service organization that was founded on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C. in 1908. It is the oldest Greek-lettered organization established by African-American college-educated women.

Via my usual Facebook stalking, I saw her entire devotion to AKA and if you bring it up, she speaks as if she just crossed yesterday. You know you're still devoted to your organization when your bags, sneakers, shirts, blouses, etc. are your colors and Melanie knows how to show off the pink & green. Remember, pretty girls wear 20 pearls. Melanie, you're truly the awesome side of Greek life.

No comments: