Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chuck E. Cheese goes shopping for a new look

He's gone! The Chuck E. Cheese mouse I knew growing up in the 80s (and some 90s) has turned into a 90s punk rock poster child. Although a new logo/brand is always exciting, I would have expected something different. The first thing that comes to mind is, "I wonder if he's playing XBOX Rock Band?" Which would make sense considering all people do these days is connect online and play video games. A Los Angeles Times article stated, "Chuck will be voiced by Jaret Reddick, the front man for Bowling for Soup, a pop-punk band whose hit songs include a ditty called '1985.' Reddick already has some experience doing voice work on Disney’s animated television show 'Phineas and Ferb.'"

The most important thing to worry about when rebranding or switching logos (in this case a character) is the mom factor. I wonder if the millions of moms appreciate the change? I don't mind the change, but I wish they would have given him a 2000 look...the 90s theme doesn't really work for kids these days. I would have laughed if the new mouse had a pizza in one hand and a cell phone in the other. But would that have worked? I want pizza now.

No comments: