Thursday, February 23, 2012

Opinion: Trusting your local community

I have been in Philadelphia for almost nine (9) years now and let me tell you, it's been interesting to say the least. Don't worry; I'm not going to sit here and bash anyone because that's not what I do. The relationships I have built in Philadelphia I will cherish forever. The friends I have made here are the most important because they are the ones I can go to at the end of the day and complain :). It's true because I would never complain to a colleague or coworker. Coworkers are there to talk about work...and an occasional happy hour or two. However, sometimes I find it hard to trust people in Philadelphia. I know all places are the same; but my experience living, working and playing here have been somewhat frustrating.

There are two types of Latinos in Philadelphia. There's those that stay in the barrio (neighborhood) and won't leave and then those that don't want to associate themselves and love Center City. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with either, but why can't you do both? The best is when at a young age and in college, no one really cares who you are. "Oh you're an intern? What can you do? He/she won't last. What's the point?" These are just some of the countless things people say to young people. The idea to trust people as you get older gets slimmer and slimmer.

Even during community meetings (which I attend rarely), there is a negative feeling in the air. When someone brings a new idea, no one likes it. When someone has a second opinion, no one listens. The mentality of the older generation has not been too kind over the years. I'm not saying everyone is like this, I just want to see change in our community. The mentality that one Latino culture is better than the other is getting old...real old. The years to come shall be interesting considering the change throughout the U.S. We shall see.

2 comments:

john said...

what to say i praise of this blog, which contains a lot of amazing information as well as the thoughtful writes.

Things to do in philly

Unknown said...

Gracias John.