Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A new radio station in town

In case you are listening to AM radio, you might notice a difference in one of the stations. An all too well known, Lawyer Ken Trujillo, has bought WHAT-AM Radio 1340 and reopened it in as Spanish-language (and online) music station"El Zol" with a "crossover" format. And just in time for November sweeps. This brings three Spanish radio station to Philadelphia on AM radio. I think radio stations are good for Philadelphia's Latino community; especially those staying at home.


And why not FM radio? To be honest I don't have the answer to this question. Rumba1480 used to be on FM years ago but since then switched to the AM radio waves. The radio station I've seen in the community more often is Mega 1310, so for El Zol to come out that means competition. Friendly competition never hurt anyone right? According to a Philly.com article, "Trujillo, a native of New Mexico who came here to attend Penn Law, has hired Uriel Rendon, ex of Spanish TV network Telemundo, lately of Mega radio, and consultant Art Camiolo, and a string of disk jockeys; he says he'd like to add civic programming too, including lawyer and Ceiba Inc." 


Did you know Philadelphia had Spanish radio?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sunny 107.9 is hot!hot! hot! I love Adult Contemporary music and when my friend told me about the Sunny 107.9, I went bananas. I am now tuned in 24/7. At www.sunny1079.com , I am kept updated on the station’s latest promotions and community events. To date I have won several concert tickets and they love to give away cash! I’m so in love with the www.sunny1079.com