Monday, April 9, 2012

Opinion on bullying

With the release of the new film Bully I can't help but think about my days in high school. I saw lots of bullying in my small high school in Plainfield but didn't really pay it any attention. Of course the bullying happened because people were different. Although the school was predominately African-American, most bullying occurred not because of "race" but because of other reasons: sexual preference, clothing worn, etc. Yes I was made fun of at times but it was never a big thing. High school is that time in your life when social norms are introduced and society puts you in a box.

I recently also red an article in NBC Latino about two Puerto Rican students being bullied in a Connecticut high school. Then it hit me. Do most bullying incidents occur when the school is predominately white? I know this accusation may sound horrible at first but it could be true. Regardless of whether or not race is involved, bullying is a serious issue. These hurtful words can damage a child's mind and the future consequences might not be reversible. Words are hurtful; it's that simple.

Glee is a great program which portrayed bullying at a small and large scale. In various episodes, Glee touched on certain character's sexual orientation (men and women). Some were strong enough to move on with life and some were not. Suicide is probably the last thing on anyone's mind but it's possible. There's also a fine line of bullying and being made fun of. However, there are still hurtful words being used. Remember, being different is cool :). Don't let society tell you where you need to be; you make your own decisions in life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think bullying happens more at a predominately white school, but in some ways the bullying is different. I was bullied much of my school career and I attended a predominately African-American HS, & a predominately white HS, and bullying happened just the same. I think bullying also has a lot to do with class and socioeconomic status. At the minority school the bullying centered around getting good grades, clothes I wore, music I listened to, not being a typical girl, etc... At the predominately white school, the bullying centered around me just not fitting in (because I came from a poorer/rougher neighborhood) and the teasing MAINLY came from minority students. I think minorities in general are bullied so much (ie media portrayal and reaction of society) that the frustration from helplessness and inferiority complex needs and outlet: School. This time in an adolescent's life can be a hellhole for some (my hell lasted 6yrs. 4yrs of HS & 2yrs of middle school),and when you feel you can't turn anywhere else, ANYTHING else seems like a better option. Its interesting because anyone can be bullied, not just the "different" kids. Thank God life doesn't end at HS, but it really gets so much better :)