Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Spirit Day and LGBT community

Ahh yes something people do not like to talk about...the LGBT community. It's 2010 and people still get uncomfortable when discussing sexual preference. That's why I commend Chi Upsilon Sigma and Lambda Upsilon Lambda taking this role and producing the event above. Although I'm sure they aren't the first to have this program, it would be great to see more and more people take an active role.

Fraternities and Sororities are supposed to be about "masculinity" and "femininity" right? I'd like to disagree these days, especially with the rise of Latino Greek Lettered organizations and openly LGBT members I've seen. How many openly LGBT members does your org have? I'm pretty sure there are a lot more closeted as well. Why? Because society still doesn't fully accept? I hope the findings in tonight's program end up positive. I think people should just be comfortable with themselves. Sure if you live in a small town things may be different which may cause you to hide your preference. Then again, why should you go around shouting, "I'm gay"? In the end, love yourself and the positive people around you.

p.s. Shout out to everyone changing their status, avatar, Twitter, etc. to shed light on the recent deaths in the LGBT community.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks!! you're about to get a lot of hits, lol! I'll keep you posted on the event. #SpiritDay2010 #wearpurple