Monday, December 29, 2014

A real show stopper: STOMP


I had the wonderful opportunity (thanks to the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts) to attend Stomp at the Merriam Theater in Philadelphia. This was a part of their "Tweet Seats" program to get social buzz going for the show.

Although I've heard great things about the show and have seen the ads, I didn't know what to expect. But I can honestly say I enjoyed myself a lot. The idea behind making sounds and music (and a story) from everyday household items, to me, was not only interesting but entertaining. It wasn't just the performers making music, they brought the audience into the story as well.


According to the press release, From its beginnings as a street performance in the UK, STOMP has grown into an international sensation over the past 20 years, having performed in more than 50 countries and in front of more than 50 countries and in front of more than 24 million people. Dustbins, tea chests, radiator hoses, boots, hub caps, and even the kitchen sink are a few items that are used to create a story through sound.

It really also reminded me of stepping and strolling in Black and Latino Greek Lettered Organizations. The staff (because I like to notice) was diverse in size and cultural background.

Here are a sample of the Tweets from opening night:



The last shows are today, December 29 and tomorrow, December 30. Tickets available here.

No comments: