Monday, May 13, 2013

My continued journey through life


A colleague of mine in Philadelphia, +Jessica Lawlor, recently published a blog post about her reflections from the real world. It had me thinking as well about how far we've come from college. I graduated from Temple University in January 2007 and have since accomplished many things; but there's still a lot to do. I have been blessed to have great family and friends that support me and vice versa.

So what has happened in the past six years:

And this is just the beginning. I've done a few speaking engagements to high school students and other groups and if there's one thing I always say, it's to just keep on doing their thing. Never take no for an answer because there's nothing you can't do. 

I did also however think about how many students are going straight into a Master's program as soon as they graduate from undergrad. The job market is super competitive but keep your heads high...it's important. With more resources, networking and a support group, you are bound to find what you're looking for. It may take a while, but just keep trying. 

1 comment:

Jessica Lawlor said...

Great advice! And thanks for sharing my post :)

I agree that it's important for students to stay confident in the job search. Grad school is great, but only if it's really what you want to do, not as an excuse for avoiding the job search.

Keep rocking it! Hopefully I'll get to #DOAC sometime this summer too!