Friday, June 1, 2012

The White House staff is in town

So I can't tell you how many times I've received an e-mail about the White House Hispanic Community Action Summit. Apparently Temple University is hosting a White House Hispanic Community Action Summit this Saturday, June 2, when senior administration officials will engage members of the Hispanic community on a wide range of issues.What exactly does this mean to any of us? It means our so called Latino leaders will gather in a room and discuss issues important to our community. It means they'll be there "requesting funds" to help support their event, organization, internal ventures, and so forth.

I actually attended something similar in D.C. over a month ago and I was a little disappointed. Sure I networked and all that fancy stuff but what was supposed to be non-partisan turned into a praise on how wonderful everyone is doing. You all know I am not into politics and government issues at all. But unfortunately as you get older, you must get involved with these arguments. Attending these events is pretty much about showing face. Do I have an obligation to go? I honestly don't think so. I can do so much more by writing a letter, organizing an event, etc. Showing face does not mean anything.

No comments: