Friday, May 27, 2011

The Hispanic White House


I recently came across the White House's Hispanic page and was actually amazed it existed. Over President Obama's presidency, I have seen more of an interest in Hispanic culture and our buying power. Sure it always comes down to money but the more we grow, the more we'll be involved on a variety of levels.

According to the website, "To win that contest and secure prosperity for Hispanics and all Americans, we have to out-innovate, out-educate and out-build the rest of the world." We definitely play an important role in this country's future. Of course there are immigration and educational issues which everyone needs to improve on, but that can't happen without our commitment. I hope more of the younger generation can see what is happening and will make smart decisions. It's important we teach them (including myself) their role and how important they are to this country's future.

I really sometimes wonder about this future. By our I mean America in general. With racism CLEARLY still in existence and with laws in Arizona ready to pass, I fear for those residents who aren't citizens. Let's hope Obama's visit to Puerto Rico goes well and something comes out of it.

No comments: