Friday, March 26, 2010

What do you do when...


...someone calls you a racial slur. To be honest I think it all depends who the person is and what they call you. It also depends on the situation. Everything changes the situation whether you are a student, parent, political figure, actor or a common "Joe" right? There have been many times where a political figure calls someone a racial slur. However, most recently California's governor called Cubans and Puerto Ricans, "naturally feisty and temperamental because of their 'combination of 'black blood' and 'Latino blood.'" What exactly does that mean?

What would you do if someone called you a sp** or a ni**a? I bet it depends on who the person is right? I think cultural sensitivity is something to recognize in our society. I bet it would also differ if you were in Amsterdam or India. White-Americans would most likely be the minority in what "we" would call a foreign country. You also have to realize no matter what "race" you classify yourself as, you most likely will be an American in the Eastern world. And now with the 2010 census upon us, people are questioning "what" we are.

I say, be mindful of who you surround yourself with, but also take into account it shouldn't matter what you classify yourself as. We all come from the same planet. It's a shame it takes a "life threatening" event for us to come together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I long for the day when we're all just humans, too, Eric, but when government programs distribute money to benefit particular groups, ethnic or racial or otherwise, doesn't it make sense to know where to send the dollars? Or am I missing something about why it makes sense to ask one race question on the census? Or is it because I'm white that I don't take it personally? I ask in all sincerity, hoping you can help me understand.

Unknown said...

You're right David. When we start to put ourselves in categories, that's when things get crazy. It's like Avatar, everyone can and should be accepted by "the people".